Stepantsminda formerly Kazbegi – is a small town in the Mtskheta-Mtianeti region of north-eastern Georgia. According to tradition, Stepantsminda, literally “Saint Stephan”, was named so after a Georgian Orthodox monk Stephan, who constructed a hermitage at this location on what later became the Georgian Military Highway. It came under the control of a local feudal magnate, the Chopikashvili clan, who were in charge of collecting tolls on travelers in the area in the late 18th century. Stepantsiminda is known for its scenic location in the Greater Caucasus Mountains, and is a center for trekkers and mountain climbing. Local attractions include the Kazbegi Museum and Ethnographic Museum in town, and the Gergeti Trinity Church outside of town, as well as Mount Kazbegi itself and the alpine meadows and forests of the surrounding Kazbegi Nature Reserve.
Attractions and Sport
- Paragliding with instructor
- Gergeti Sameba Church
- Nature mineral waters
- Mount Kazbek climbing
- (9:00 – 12:00) Ananuri Castle
- (12:30 – 13:30) Lunch at the local restaurant
- (13:30 – 14:30) Zhinvali Water Reservoir
- (14:30 – 16:30) Gudauri
- (16:30 – 18:30) Gergeti Trinity Church – The Gergeti Trinity Church was built in the 14th century
- (18:30 – 20:30) Coffee Break at the terrace of Hotel “Rooms”
- (20:40 – 21:30) Dinner at the local restaurant
- (21:30 – 23:30) Back to Tbilisi
- Ananuri Castle – is a fortress situated on the foreland by the Aragvi River, not far from Zhinvali water reservoir and about 70 km from Tbilisi, Georgia. It was built by the Dukes of Aragvi and its earliest parts date from the 13th century. The fortress is on the UNESCO Tentative list. The fortress consist of two fortifications joined by a crenellated curtain wall. The upper fortification with a large square tower, known as Sheupovari, is well-preserved. The lower fortification, with a round tower, is mostly in ruins.
- Zhinvali Water Reservoir – Zhinvali, also Jinvali, is an artificial water reservoir located on the river Aragvi in Georgia. The building of the hydroelectric dam formed the Zhinvali Reservoir. The dam has been built in 1986.
- Gudauri – is a mountain ski resort situated on a south-facing plateau of the greater Caucasus mountain range in Georgia, 2,200 m above sea level. Its skiable area enjoys the maximum exposure to the sun, which makes Gudauri a magnificent all-year-round tourist destination.
- Gergeti Trinity Church – The Gergeti Trinity Church was built in the 14th century, and is the only cross-cupola church in Khevi province. The separate belltower dates from the same period as the church itself. Its isolated location on top of a steep mountain surrounded by the vastness of nature has made it a symbol for Georgia. The church is a popular waypoint for trekkers in the area, and can be reached by a steep 3 hour climb up the mountain, or around 30 minutes by jeep up a rough mountain trail.
|Price Per Person (Group of 4 Persons)||119 USD|
|Price Per Person (Group of 6 Persons)||88 USD|
|Price Per Person (Group of 20 Persons)||74 USD|
- Delica to Gergeti Trinity Church
- Guiding Service